Hi,
 A loopback interface is a virtual interface of soft interface that is
always up even when the physical interface is down. It mostly used in
situations were flapping interfaces can't be tolorated, this way if the
physical interface goes down, communication on the protocol level will
still take place. It's mostly used with OSPF, BGP, etc.
The only time the loopback interface goes down is when the entire router is
hard down.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Kerry