At 10:20 PM 10/6/00, whatshakin wrote:
>This makes it sound like there is actually something tangible being put on
>the wire.  Bits are merely ones and zeros which are signaled by different
>voltages etc in the line encoding.
>
>Bits do not occupy line space.

Sure they do. Wasn't it Einstein that said time and distance are related?
(Don't quote me on that.) Seriously, the discussion of how much space a bit
takes on the wire has been going on since Ethernet was invented. See
Optimized Engineering's Technical Compendium for a discussion that brings
up the space issue.

http://www.optimized.com/COMPENDI/EN-Propa.htm

And here's some more related trivia. Do you know why a 32-bit jam is sent
when a station detects a collision? It's to increase the time and distance
of the collision event. It's to avoid the case where the collision happens
right next to you and you've stopped transmitting by the time the collision
event hits a repeater that could be 500 meters away.

Why didn't they use a 16-bit jam? Because on thick coax Ethernet cable the
signal travels at 231,000 kilometers per second. This means a bit occupies
23.1 meters on thick Ethernet. 16 x 23.1 wouldn't have been enough. 32 x
23.1 is 739 meters. An extension of 32 bits allows the sender to busy out a
maximum 500-meter segment. This explains both the jam size and the fact
that a repeater extends a received fragment by at least 32 bits.

I know this is a strange way of looking at things, but it is one way that
engineers, including the inventors of Ethernet, looked at the Ethernet
parameters.

Priscilla