From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
whatshakin
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2000 12:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ethernet Trivia

This makes it sound like there is actually something tangible being put on
the wire.  Bits are merely ones and zeros which are signaled by different
voltages etc in the line encoding.

Bits do not occupy line space.

Measurements of how fast data can be moved over a wire are the time it takes
for a signal at one end to be heard at the other.   The amount of data
(signals) which can be moved across a wire is ascertained by the line
encoding method, and how many signals the encoding system can be made to
produce in a second.  Minus the delay factors between point A and B of
course.

I seem to recall reading some papers from folks at the US Berkley computer
science dept a few years back that researched the various line encoding
techniques etc that were quite interesting.  I cannot find them now that I
need them though!!

BTW, my calculations for the speed of light resulted in 299,793,100 m/s