Hey Group,
     I asked my teacher about this a long time ago when I was training and never got a
real strait answer. (was always the one who asked the far out questions) I know I
don't have the most solid concepts in my head on this but this is what I've been told.
You have Asynchronous, and then you have synchronous. These are how info is sent
across a line. 2 different ways. I was "told" that synchronous transmision is usually
faster than asynchronous because there are less steps in it's sending process. Cool,
still with me? Here is my question: If synchronous is faster, why don't they create
Synchronous Transfer Mode (STM) on top of, or instead of using Asynchronous Transfer
Mode (ATM). I don't want anyone to stress over this one, it's strictly to think and
have fun with. I heard they are making it but my source was not reliable. I don't even
remember who said it once. Just some thoughts group. Have a good start of the week...

My 0.2 cents

Mark Z. CCNA, CCDA, 1/4-NP