ATM's asynchronous nature allows someone to send data when they need to,
instead of having to wait for a time-slot like with typical TDM
systems.  In a TDM system each user gets a slot, whether they like it or
not, that slot is for them.  A user that wants to use a TDM system has to
wait for there slot, and can only communicate while there slot is active,
and then it goes to the other slots etc.

Brian