At 01:03 AM 10/8/00, Jeff Kell wrote:
>Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>
> > Does this help at all? Speed of light in twisted-pair cable is 177,000
> > km/sec. So a bit occupies 177,000 divided by 10 million bits per second, or
> > 17.7 meters, in 10 Mbps Ethernet.
> >
> > 177,000 divided by 100 million bits per second is 1.77 meters for 100 Mbps
> > Ethernet. (I'm sure you figured that one out already.)
>
>Some people questioned "the math" above, I'm guessing because it seems
>to read that a bit travels 17.7 meters/sec in 10 Mb Ethernet.  But
>we missed the "physics" issues to keep things equivalent.

No fuzzy math or physics is needed. We are dividing meters per second by
bits per second, which is the same thing as meters/sec x sec/bit. Cancel
out the seconds and you have meters per bit, in other words how much space
on a cable a bit occupies.

I was just sitting out on my deck on the last sunny day we will probably
have for months in Oregon and realized that folks may be missing the basic
arithmetic involved, though they understand the more complicated aspects.
That's weird!

Well, back to the sun!

Priscilla