Shore Microsystems makes a "Autoswitch", which dual homes to two
Access-layer ethernet switches.  Workstations are plugged into the
autoswitch, which uses a voltage censor to detect link failure from either
of the Access-layer ethernet switches.  The autoswitch then uses physical
relays to "autoswitch" the workstation connectivity to the alternate
Access-layer ethernet switch.  The autoswitch is able to perform this
failover in mere hundredths of a second.....behold......

switch    switch
      \   /
       \ /
    Autoswitch