if that is the case setting keepalives to what value is optimal?

10 , I tried setting it to 10 but it went down

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Jay Hennigan
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 5:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: keepalive set in frame-relay circuit?

On 9 Oct 2000 01:54:14 -0400, Yee, Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:hi anyone
:
:knows why after having set my keepalive to be zero my frame-relay circuit
:straight away went up ie line protocol is up

The keepalive setting on a frame-relay interface determines the LMI
interval.
Turning it off stops the router from sending or expecting LMI.

:I believe there is no need to set keepalive as the LMI is taking care of it
:right?

The keepalive of an interface with frame-relay encapsulation _is_ LMI.

:Correct me if I am wrong

Can you pass traffic over the interface with no keepalive?  No keepalive
is a means of forcing an interface into an up-up state from the router's
viewpoint even if the interface may in fact be disconnected.  While this
is useful for test purposes, it doesn't carry any traffic.  While the
interface shows "line protocol is up" with or without anything plugged in
it isn't going to move data from point A to point B.

If it _is_ connected, and the other end also is set to "no keepalive",
then in most cases you can use it to pass data.  However, this is not
usually a good idea because the routers will have no means of detecting
a link failure (other than timeouts on a dynamic routing protocol).

If this frame-relay interface is connected to a real carrier's frame
switch, then the "no keepalive" will cause the router to stop sending
LMI, which will cause the carrier's switch to show the link as inactive.

You may be able to make it work in a lab situation with no keepalive
on a router configured as a frame switch, but it isn't a good idea.

As a rule, keepalives are a good thing on an active interface passing
real-world traffic, and turning them off should not be necessary to
bring the line protocol up.

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/