On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Sena, Elver wrote:

> Brian,
>
> It seems that you know something that no one in my engineering group knows.
> I do work for UUNet as an Engineer not an SE and my group has been told that
>
>       1) We do not advertise IPs unless they are owned by the customer.

yes, this is absolutley incorrect.  A simple "show ip bgp" from any
router, will show you clearly that UUnet is announcing hundreds of /24's
which are a) not portable address space, b) not UUnet space.

>       2) If we advertise them (IPs not own by the customer), it will only
> be in our WAN portion of the web.  We will NOT           advertise it to our
> peers.
>
> As I said, you must know something I don't know and I DON'T mean to question
> what you just said.  I will definitely research it within the company.

Elver, yes, just show them the output of a "show ip bgp", pick a few /24's
out that are multihomed and you will see what I am talking about.  Also,
we have had no less than 8 uunet circuits in the last 6 years, and its
never a problem for a NOC engineer or sales droid to agree to announce
your space.

Brian