On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Alldread AK2 Robert J wrote:

> I am preparing for the CID exam and have a question that I need some help
> resolving.  The CiscoPress CID book states on page 329 that a T1 uses
> in-band signaling and a E1 uses out-of-band signaling.  I also have the
> Boson CID test #1 and it states that both use out-of-band signaling.  I
> wrote to John Swartz, the author of the boson exam and he told me that they
> both use out-of-band signaling.  Is this in fact correct??  I looked on CCO
> and found two different answers.  My theory is that a regualar T1 uses
> out-of-band and a fractional T1 uses in-band.  Can I please get some help
> with this one.

You can't say that a t1 or an e1 uses out-of-band or in-band..........it
depends on the signalling you are using.  If you are using PRI signalling
on a t1 or e1, that is out of band.  If you are using R2 signalling on a
channelized E1 then thats out of band.  If you are configuring e&m  on a
channelized t1 then thats in-band......................I mean, imho, you
can't just say "t1" or "e1".  Their is no intrinsic signalling associated
with either until you put one on it.

Brian