Agreed.  I think my brain was on vacation when I read your original post;
sorry for any confusion.  Chalk it up to a very long day. :-)
Anyway, I did some large scale video-conference setups a number of years
ago and my only choice for reliability, CODEC to CODEC, was ATM.  We had
excellent results with a multipoint Voice, Video, Data mux.

Craig