On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Who makes Layer 4 switches such as what you're talking about, Brian? Sorry
> if it's a dumb question.

Foundry Networks www.foundrynet.com     we use the serverion line.
Alteon Networks www.alteon.com makes good ones too (acedirector line)

Cisco makes one called the localdirector I believe as well.  I think F5
has some too.  Foundry IMHO is the way to go.  Very nice.  We use them for
Server Load Balancing and Transparent Redirection (cache farms)

> I'm helping a customer who has a setup similar to what you describe, I
> think. The customer is reluctant (unable?) to give me all the details, even
> though I'm helping him troubleshoot some problems that are probably
> related. (Layer 8, politics, will get you every time!)

Feel free to ask for any more details,

Brian