Don,

Do not think you need to have token-ring, I do not have them and do not have
Cat too, I just rent some rack time when I needed to get familiar with basic
configuration, I heard DLSW stuffs are there. But you do not need token-ring
to practice DLSW. As far as you can configure the it, it should be fine.
Even if you have a token-ring interface, what can you do with it execpet the
basic 'ring-speed, soure-route 1 1 10, soure-route spanning", that is pretty
much it is.
I know many people just read book, get 3 or 4 router setup frame-relay and
rent rack time if needed, and get CCIE.
I personelly, really do not believe buying 6-7 routers and Cat for home lab,
not necessary at all, again, my opnion.

Thanks

Jack Walker