I have been having a problem with our HA Checkpoint Firewall-1 solution for
about 3 weeks now, and finally narrowed what the problem is. First a little
background...

Each Firewall has the same set of IP address/Mac addresses. One Firewall is
active, while the other is in standby mode.  Whenever there is a failover,
manual or otherwise, the active firewall's interfaces go down, while the
other firewall's interfaces come up. We are using (2) 5509's as our Ethernet
switches, that are connected via a LANE module that goes up to a pair of
8540 ATM switches connected by an OC12 trunk.

With each correspinding interface on each Firewall plugged into the same
switch, the failover is totally transparent.  As soon as the failover
happens, the switch updates it's CAM table by removing the old port
assignment, and adding the new one.  The issue is that we are trying to have
FWA plug into 5509A exclusively and FWB plug into 5509B exclusively.  When
we failover in that scenario, the new switch updates it's CAM entry, but the
old switch never removes his.  We have to wait for the "cam agingtime" to
expire before that entry will be cleared out, and can start passing traffic
again.

On a subnet with 500 PC's hooked up, are there any issues with setting the
agingtime down to 15 seconds, instead of the 5 minute default?  Is there a
cleaner solution to my problem?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Matt Morrow