let's assume that we have network 10.0.0.0  and its subnet 10.1.0.0/16
10.2.0.0, 10.3.0.0 ... and a default route
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0

 10.0.0.0
     10.1.0.0
     10.2.0.0
     10.3.0.0
S 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (Serial 0)

when a packet reach the router and ask for the destination 10.1.1.1 (for
example) it will match
one of the above rule 10.1.0.0.
now when another packet reach this router and ask for 10.4.0.1 (for example)
now, since there
is no rules under the 10.0.0.0 network, it will drop even there is a static
route.
This is the no IP classless

for the ip classless, the packet ask for 10.4.0.1, it doesn;t match the
anyrule inside network 10.0.0.0
and DO NOT DROP the packet but seek the best alternative out, in this case
is Serial 0

Sam Li