Here's how I understand it...but I'm not quite a Catalyst expert.  By
default a Cat is in VTP server mode (ther are 3 modes: server,
transparent and client) Before you can set-up any VLANS you have to
place the VTP server within a VTP domain.  If you type the command  "set
vtp ?"  you'll  get a bunch of options and switches available...but you
must at least set the domain name before you can create VLANs.  Hope
this helps,  Frank