Daniel Cotts wrote:

The trick is getting the
experience to reinforce the knowledge you gain through study. My first job
in IT included moving furniture, taking out the garbage, and shoveling snow.
After that I might be able to work on the computers. It's called paying your
dues.

And I'm saying:

I think the part about "paying your dues" is bullsh*t.  If I'm selling you
my ability to (insert somewhat technical skill here), and if you say you're
buying whatever technical skill I'm selling, then anything else is you
wasting my time and exploiting my presence.  Case in point: my first job
when I moved to Boston was to be a "software trainer" for a rinky-dink
training company.  I was hired on with the verbal agreement that within two
months I would be teaching at least one of their classes full-time.  After I
officially started, my duties included hauling PCs up and down stairs,
vacuuming, running errands for the boss, etc.  The tasks I was performing
were not based on the skills I was selling to my employer.  After two
months, when it became very apparent that this guy had no intention of
letting me set foot in front of a classroom, I split and got a much, *much*
better job elsewhere which utilized the skills I had to offer an employer.

Just think: if all you're going to do is move furniture and vacuum, why are
you applying at the company you're applying at?  Why not just go to work for
a moving company instead?  It's because you have a skill set which, at least
in your eyes, has some value to that company.  If they agree, then they hire
you and you use those skills - immediately.

The moral is: don't settle for anything less than the job you want to do.
If you are confident in your skill level, there is an employer out there who
wants to buy it.

That'll be $0.02, please pull ahead to the next window.

Sincerely,

Bradley J. Wilson
CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, CNX-A, NNCSS, MCT, CTT