ya know, sometimes the "easy" ones turn a bit funny..............

the register at 2102 is "normal" for a full 2509..... - don't know about a
CPA.

I just telnetted into my 2509 and it is set to 2102 and I can access enable
and config the router.

Now, the 2500 series is a run from flash router so while the IOS is running,
the flash is read only.

However, in the later IOS releases (don't know when it changed....) if
you're in the enable mode and give the command "copy tftp flash"  you will
be prompted many times (are you sure, tftp address, etc)  then the router
will reboot, do the copy and come back up.

So, can you get into the enable mode?

The config thing is strange, a simple memory upgrade wouldn't have changed
anything that affects your ability to config the router unless the memory
you put in isn't "kosher".

Have you tried putting back the old memory and seeing what happens?

Is there any more info you can share??

Kevin Wigle
CCDP/CCNP............

get into enable mode, set config-register to 0x2101, reboot.
router will come up in (boot) mode. copy tftp flash. (caution this will
erase existing
file(s). set config-register back to 0x2102 and reboot

Wha-lah!!!

P.S> did it yesterday matter of fact!