> Next step - He wants a a proxy server running squid on BSD
> (don't think so) so that the whole LAN can be NAT.

I'm confused by this.  You don't like squid, or you're pointing
out that squid has nothing to do with NAT?

squid does a GREAT job.  I've got 1200 clients going though
an old P2/266 box with 384MB of RAM running squid, and it's
made a decent dent in Internet traffic.  The machine peaks at
about 40% utilization.

I only have one squid server, so I use WCCP between an RSM
and the squid proxy.  If the squid proxy goes down (ie,
power gets pulled on it like last week) it's no big deal.
The router will drop the proxy as a valid WCCP peer,
and send web traffic out unproxied as usual.

Invisible to the client, free software, works great.  But you're
right, it won't do NAT.  That would be the job of the underlying
OS/tools.

http://www.squid-cache.org/ for those who are unfamililar.