On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Jeff McCoy wrote:

> If the process id is defined as 200 in the command:
>
> router ospf 200
>
> and this is not the AS, then where is the AS defined?

OSPF does not use the notion of an AS for its routing.  With IGRP and
EIGRP, processes on different routers must use the same AS, or else
information will not be exchanged.  With OSPF, this is not the case, any
router within its reach running ospf can essentially become a neighbor,
and possibly adjacent.  To restrict this, you would use OSPF
authentication, so that only routers you wanted would talk to
eachother...........you could even set up multiple seperate OSPF clusters
to act like EIGRP "AS's".

The OSPF process id's only real practical use would be to allow you to run
multiple seperate OSPF processes on a single router, which I doubt you
would want to do.

Brian