Frank,
Many thanks for testing that.  I'm glad I don't have to completely throw out my
previous ideas on routing.  Everyone else around here seemed to be accepting
this as normal behaviour and I thought I must be losing the plot (OK, so bugs
*are* normal behaviour...).
I've had a look at Cisco's bug navigator, and there are a couple of bugs that
might be causing this - bit hard to tell from their descriptions.  There are
quite a few weird and wonderful OSPF bugs in that release so I'm putting my
money on that.  Mind you, most of them seem to involve extra unwanted LSAs in
the database, not too few!

Priscilla, thanks for your comments - you're correct that a floating static
wouldn't achieve what I need - I'm specifically intending to override OSPF in
this case.  However prompted by your comment, I tried increasing the admin
distance to 10 (I have seen slightly peculiar behaviour before with admin
distance of 1 or 0).  That didn't make any difference, though.

For those that are interested, having looked at it a bit further, it appears
that the LSA is 'lost' on RTB, when distributing from Area 0 to RTC's area (area
61).  'show ip ospf da' on RTB shows the summary network appearing in the Area 0
database, learned from RTA, but for area 61 there is no entry learned from RTB
itself (there is an entry learned from another router - call it RTB1 - I
mentioned there is redundancy).  For an equivalent summary of a different
address, with no matching static route, there is an entry for area 61 learned
from RTB, as well as the entry for area 0.  So the problem isn't with RTB
distributing to RTC, it's the inter-area distribution on RTB.

(actually, Frank, there's a bit of a difference between your setup and mine - in
mine, RTB is an ABR).

Given that I have a workaround (using the redundant router - and the static is
supposed to be a short-term kludge anyway, so it's a bandaid on a kludge now
:-), I don't think I'll be going to the hassle of breaking the network to try to
identify and fix this - my opportunities for playing with this are rather
limited.  If anyone wants to exercise their minds and dig deeper, I am quite
happy to help with further details of versions, config excerpts and other info
though.

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 09/11/2000 11:08 am

Priscilla Oppenheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09/11/2000 06:08:58 am

Please respond to Priscilla Oppenheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>