At 12:22 PM -0800 11/10/2000, Julian Eccli wrote:
>Does anyone know the definition of Control Plane from a generic
>routing protocol
>standpoint?  Is it the same definition as in ATM?  I have heard references to
>control planes in various talks but they were not specific to ATM.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Julian

Unfortunately, it isn't as well-specified in IP routing as in the
B-ISDN/ATM architecture.  Many IP discussions merge what that
architecture calls the control and management plane.

Personally, I think merging the two is rather unfortunate.  In IP
networks, I consider control plane protocols those that are used for
signaling between hosts and ingress/egress routers.  Examples:  ARP,
IGMP.  Another way to think about them is that they serve a
user-to-network role.

I consider pure management plane protocols to those used between
routers:  BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP, etc.  Arguably, these have a
network-to-network role.

There are protocols that don't neatly fit, such as RSVP and ICMP.  I
suppose they are control plane when host initiated and management
plane when router initiated, but that doesn't always work and is ugly
anyway.