    From:       [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Paul
    Werner
    Sent:       Monday, November 13, 2000 6:46 PM
    To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Subject:    Re: Subject: Default Ping Payload

    > When conducting ping tests from one of our remote routers, I
    get anywhere from 5-13% packet loss when using the default ping payload, yet
    when I change the payload to anything else-such as all ones, all zeroes,
    alternating ones and zeroes-I get no packet loss whatsoever.
    > This holds true regardless of packet size.  However, when
    using the default data pattern, larger packets get dropped more often than
    smaller packets.  We are seeing zero input or output errors on this
    interface.

    > This seems VERY strange to me, but I think I'll get closer to
    an answer when I find out what the default pattern is.

    > Do any of you know what that is?

    If you were going from a Cisco router to a Cisco router, it would look like
    this(watch wrap on all links):
    http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1983/40768/Chesinc/docs/CiscotoCisco.txt
    If you were pinging from a Winthing to a Cisco device, it might look like
    this:
    http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1983/40768/Chesinc/docs/WinthingtoCisco.
    txt
    You will note that the results vary based upon the operating system
    involved. For a Cisco device, the repeating pattern is the following in
    binary:
    1010101111001101
    Which in hex is ABCD.  You can vary the pattern to any four value hex
    character combination that you choose.  Obvious choices would be 0x0000 or
    0xFFFF or maybe 0xAAAA (equal mix of ones and zeros in the payload).  Of
    course, you will need to be in priviledge mode to do an extended ping and
    ensure you choose "extended commands".
    HTH,

    Paul Werner