I would seriously doubt it, but I have not yet attended this exam.

If you practice a little, it is actually not that difficult nor
timeconsuming to do it on the plastic board you have to write on during the
examination.

I always divide the decimal by 16, to get the hi-hex, and the put the rest
in lo-hex.

Example 215:

        hi-hex = 215 / 16 = 13 (and some decimals that you ignore)
        lo-hex = 215 - 208 (16*13) = 7

As you (probably) know, 13 has the value D in hex form, so the result is D7.

It helps speed up the calculation if you practice the 16 scale, so you can
look at a number and tell right away where the nearest number divided by 16
equal or less than the decimal number is.

Example 161:

You (should) know that 160 is the closest number divided by 16 equal or less
than 161, and be able to tell right away that the hi-hex is A (10) and the
lo-hex is 1. Result is therefore A1.

If you want to go the other way, it is much simpler.

Example B8:

        11 (B) * 16 + 8 = 184

Hth,

Ole