From: Hartnell, George
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 3:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: NMS -- What is really needed?

I've been perusing the trial version of CiscoWorks 5.0 w/What's Up Gold.

I'm finding that I might want to invest in a more robust Network Management
System, and/or add-ons.  I notice a couple of things at the Cisco site:

The CiscoWorks2000 Campus Bundle.
        For Unix boxes, several parts:
                Campus Manager
                Traffic Director
                Resource Manager Essentials (what might be more than
essentials?)
                CiscoView
                CiscoWorks2000 Management Server
        For NT boxes:
                LAN Management Solution
                        Traffic Director
                        Campus Manager
                        Resource Manager Essentials
                        Content Flow Monitor
                        CiscoView

Then there's a whole bunch of 'other stuff'; device fault manager, switch
probes, QoS manager, internetwork performance monitor, routed WAN
management, ad. nauseum.

I'm big on test equipment, but must admit some antiquity, on my part, and
but a notion of just-enough management for a largish campus/metropolitan
area fiber network.

So, some specifics, eh?  Single-mode concentric rings connecting 22 sites.
All within 10 miles, as the fiber runs.  Three thousand nodes.  No voice.
Gig ether.  Cisco equipment, mostly.

Public-sector K-12, so, keep it realistic.  Although, now that I think about
it, no matter who wins The Election, K-12 education has been promised
billion$$$.

I'm waiting for the manna to start falling....

Thanks.

Best, G.