It sounds like the market you are living in is oversaturated. Having similar
experiences while living in Des Moines, Iowa, my solution was to go where
the work is (in my case Kansas City)> It has been stated by numerous people
on this list previously and not to beat a dead horse...but, early in your
career as an <insert job title here> it is to your advantage to be mobile. I
was originally able to get into the IT field with only experience and no
certifications because of this and now have a position that allows me to
troubleshoot voice and data circuits Cisco, nortel, Marconi, and Fore
equipment. The company I am working for provides me with an extensive
library of CBT's to choose from at my leisure. They also send their
personall out to classroom training on a regular basis. This coupled with
the numerous opportunities for advancement and cross training within the
company (tuition reimbursement and stock options too!) made this an easy
choice for me to come on board with them, even though it required me to move
for the 3rd time in 3 years. If you are are relatively new in the field
and/or lacking a degree (much like I am), you want to get in and start
working yesterday (of course, today will do also), I would suggest you adopt
the mantra that I have..... "mobility=advancement/opportunity". If you can
adapt this sentiment (and not all can, we all have different circumstances),
finding employment with your new <insert brand name here> certification will
be greatly simplified. FYI, in my case the CCNA was what attracted their
attention to me (achieved while working on MCSE). Good luck to all the job
seekers out there and DO try to be as mobile as you can...it will most
certainly help you in your search.

Gragg Vaill
MCP CCNA
NOS Contractor