Jack, that's a good question and this is my understanding, so that could be
wrong.

I'm now aware of ANY ISP that would redistribute BGP into anything. The
reasons are:
1. You loose a lot of information (BGP metrics such as AS path, communities,
etc)
2. Lots of computation to convert any protocol, specially on the Internet
where the routing tables change every second

My understanding is that they basically use IS-IS or OSPF so the BGP routers
know how to reach the neighbors. Basically, on a Core-Distribution
architecture, BGP would sit on the Distribution where the customers are
connected and the Core router would run IS-IS or OSPF basically routing only
UUNet addresses so that BGP routers (Distribution) can reach each other.

Basically, that's how it flows:

Customer/Peers connect to Distribution routers and speak BGP. BGP routers
know how to reach each other (neighbors statement on the bgp config)
connecting to core routers that run IS-IS or OSPF. On a simplistic way, you
can think that BGP knows that to reach destination x needs to go through
neighbor A. IS-IS or OSPF are incharged of find out/define how to get to A,
so for instance IS-IS and OSPF would be responsible on provide multiple
path, load balance, etc on their core. In other words, if you connect to ISP
A in San Francisco and you want to send a packet to ISP B in NY, and ISP A
and B connect in NY, this is how things would work: you would send the
packet to ISP A in SF. ISP A would look into the BGP tables and find out
what is the best path. Best path would be iBGP to the BGP router from ISP A
in NY (I'm considering both BGP routers in SF and NY are BGP neighbors). The
path inside ISP A backbone to reach the router in NY is determined by IS-IS
or OSPF. When the packet reach ISP A's router in NY, this router will look
what is the best BGP path to reach ISP B and send the packet.

Again, that's my understanding and I could be very wrong here.

I don't want to increase the level of conplexity here, but I talked about
multiple path, load balance, etc. I was refering to IP. I'm sure most ISPs
that still use ATM would also use ATM to load balance traffic between links,
etc.

Does it help? :-)

Guilherme