Chuck,
  You need a beer, a vacation, some excercise, some kind of stress reliever.
I do feel your cry from the trenches. I think part of the problem is, this
field gets bigger every day. The IT industry promises so much, even for the
really lazy people. If you listen to adds from some of the courses you hear
get Microsoft or Cisco certified in 2 days of classes. This cries out to the
lazy bum on the couch that networking stuff is easy. Get rich quick. And
which certification is the grand-daddy puba of them all? -CCIE. Lazy man
says if MCSE makes $50,000 after 2 days of classes, maybe I can go to a 4
day class and get CCIE, and then just think of all the cash I'll be making.
  I do understand what you are saying. I have read and read and read and
read and read the big fat books, not just the skinny cert preps. I am on the
track looking for CCIE in my future. I read, and fight to understand
sometimes. I read these listings to see what kinds of stuff other poeple are
encountering, but I know I still have alot more studying to go before I have
any chance of being successfull on the lab. I took the CCNP track to give me
some stepping stones on my way there, and for something to validate my word,
saying I know something about networking. The fact of the matter is that
CCIE is alot of work true, but I disagree with bashing on people.
  Sometimes it takes a failure on a test to help figure out that this is
going to take alot more work. Also just think about this. Every unprepared
person who tosses that $1000 Cisco's way is kindof helping you become more
valueable. Cisco gets more money to research, advertise, purchase small
companies bottom line get a better stronghold on the market, and if you are
planning to put that much work into that Cisco certification, you're going
to want Cisco to stay on top for a long time most likely. You are going to
almost going to be a part of Cisco it's going to be your advertiser, your
research team. If Cisco sells alot of routers and switches = the market will
needs alot of people who know how to work on that equipment.
  My brother gets all upset because one of his friends sort of expects my
brother to hand feed him his MCSE. He says hey Jeff can you come over and
help me out with this TCP/IP? The guy is just plain lazy he basicly doesn't
want to have to read the material. When my brother gets all worked up I just
say don't worry about it bro, he'll never put the effort into learning the
material and he won't ever get that certification -he's just making you look
good.