The biggest caution I'd give about Cisco's IOS support for DHCP is that if
you bounce the router, it forgets all the dynamic leases.  It does have the
ability to log leases to an ftp server, but if you're going to have to set
up an ftp server, might as well have that box do DHCP as well.

However, I've used it for SOHO that had dialup internet access (ISDN, PPPoE
DSL, etc.), but not the need for a server on site.  In that case, DHCP from
the Cisco box was a fast solution as I already knew it from configuring it
for my home 1605R.  Now, again, if you've got a real server around that you
can hand out DHCP from, do that, but if not, it's not a bad route to go (so
long as you put the PING configured, which is defaulted to 2 conflict
attempts before handing out an address, and use short lease times, the
default of which is 24 hours).

For home, I've got statics for my stuff, and a pool for folks when we do LAN
parties (we've got drops wired all over the house):
service dhcp
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.45.254
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.45.1 192.168.45.20
! Anything you don't exclude when you define a network is assumed available
to be given out
ip dhcp ping 2
!
ip dhcp pool default
   lease 1
   network 192.168.45.0 /24
   default-router 192.168.45.254
   dns-server 192.168.45.14 206.13.28.12 206.13.31.12 207.92.43.4
206.13.30.12 206.13.29.12
   domain-name internal.artoo.net
   netbios-node-type h-node
   netbios-name-server 207.92.43.4 207.92.43.4
! Note that everything set in the non-specific pool for a network gets
passed on to each static lease below
! or sub-pools that may fall within this range unless you specify something
different
!
ip dhcp pool han-kingston
   host 192.168.45.10 /24
   client-identifier 0100.c0f0.3e23.91
   client-name han
!
ip dhcp pool han-cisco-pcm340
   host 192.168.45.11 /24
   client-identifier 0100.4096.324a.ac
   client-name han
!
ip dhcp pool leia
   host 192.168.45.12 /24
   client-identifier 0100.c0f0.3d0d.0a
   client-name leia
!
ip dhcp pool c3p0-linux
   host 192.168.45.14 /24
   client-identifier 00c0.f059.7c77
   client-name c3p0
!
ip dhcp pool cisco-ap340
   host 192.168.45.17 /24
   client-identifier 0100.4096.3508.f0
   client-name slave1

You can also configure any DHCP variable you like with the "Raw DHCP Option"
command 'option #'

Yeah, it's all a bit anal, but it was quick and easy and at the time I set
it up as originally I didn't have a linux box at home to handle dhcp.  I
believe it is included in 12.1.0 and beyond (just see if 'service dhcp'
works).  Oh, and as a side note for smaller routers with little config
space: 'service compress-config', which allows my little 1605R with 7k nv
config memory to save my 12k config:
falcon#wr m
Building configuration...
Compressed configuration from 12364 bytes to 5083 bytes[OK]

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNA, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+