From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
ciscolab
Sent:   Sunday, November 19, 2000 12:53 PM
To:     willy george; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: ISDN PRI MODULE

Hi Willy!

Balanced and Unbalanced is a term carried over from transmission line
theory...ie., any form of energy transfer between two points.
(It overs data, microwave, telephone circuits, radio antenna, as well as
high-voltage power distribution!)

A balanced line uses two channels (ie., conductors) for energy transmission.
What happens is that the voltage of the two conductors are equal in
strength, but opposite in direction (ie., positive and negative voltages)
with respect to ground, in this way any induced voltages (ie., interference)
are minimised => you can run this type of cable over longer distances
without corrupting the original voltage
(ie., data).
Example: G.703 interface, twin-ax cable, Cat-5 cable, RS-442, POTS copper
line (ie., TIP and RING) etc.,
Advantage: Longer distance runs with less corruption on the channel
Disadvantage: More complicated end interfaces and tends to require closer
tolerances for the cable => more expensive!

An un-balanced line is one in which the voltages are not equal, with respect
to ground.
Example: X.21 interface, RS-232, TV/Radio coax cable etc.,
Advantage: Cheaper cable, line drivers (ie., interfaces) are cheaper as well
Disadvantage: Not suitable for long distance runs

I hope that helps...on the balanced and un'balanced front!

Regards,
Serge :)