The real important thing when working with computers in the real world to
remember is:(and you will make it)
1. Don't ever say, always or never to an engineer. They will prove you
wrong.
2. Read the vendor docs but don't believe them. Test everything!!! I work in
a test lab environment in which we certify hardware and software before we
place it on our network. Which is in the millions of hosts. We are a
communications company. I made the same mistake early on to the other
computer/network/electrical engineers I work with by saying "the
documentation says" when they all got up off the ground and stopped laughing
at me. They told me, if we went by what the documentation says we would not
need a test lab, we would all lose our job, and that salesmen would rule the
world not engineers.
3. Reinvent yourself every 6 months. There is no such thing as old in
engineering just
A. Obsolete - we don't use it anymore
B. Foundation - what all new is built on
C. New - what we use today, but will be either A or B tomorrow.
4. The engineering creed -
    a. Keep it simple.
    b. Don't reinvent the wheel.
My personal favorite:
    c. Don't work any harder than you have to.
These 4 also make a good Network  Engineer so apply them, they have gotten
me where I want to be.
I definitely would like to see the results of your testing.
If you can please send the test methodolgy, results, and config for the
test. i would appreciate that.
Don