> I figured how to get access ... but I am still not sure what
went wrong
> enter a break sequence ... change the register settings and
then you can
> look at your config from there ....

I will assume that your changed config register bypassed your
startup config?  If so, take a look at the startup config under
the console line section.  Do you see a command there that
says, "no exec"?  If so, you need to remove the command by
going to line config mode and typing exec as follows:

router#lin con 0
router(config-line)#exec
router(config-line)#end
router#wr

The easiest way to do this is to let your router boot normally
with the default factory config register of 0x2102.  Once it is
booted, attempt to *telnet* into the router over a LAN
interface, such as Ethernet.  Once you telnet into the router,
execute the commands listed above, and the problem should go
away.  This typically happens to people who try to change the
executive timeout on a router and they get lazy (such as
myself), and they try to execute the following command, "no
exec-timeout".  Instead, they believe they are successful in
doing this by using a minimalist command of "no exec".  Bad
choice :-(

I have done it before.  My recommendation is that use use a
different approach to accomplishing the same goal.  Instead of
using the command, "no exec-timeout", try the following
minimalist command, "exec-t 0 0"  That will do the same job
with less hassle.  Disregard this entire e-mail if the command
was not present in your startup config.  This message will self
destruct in 15 seconds...

HTH,

Paul Werner