Well, that depends :)

You don't mention the OS on the server which will most likely make a
difference in the answer to this question.  For an NT server,  you can use
multiport cards.  I know Adaptec and Intel make these types of cards.

http://www.adaptec.com/products/overview/duo64.html

http://www.intel.com/network/products/pro100dport.htm

We use 2 Adaptec Duuo64 cards in our NT servers in order to get NIC, Cable,
and switch redundancy.  The Adaptec software lets you aggregate the four
physical interfaces into one or two logical interfaces depending on how you
configure it.  Works pretty well for us.  If you have Compaq servers with
Compaq NICs, they have a feature called "teaming" that provides NIC
redundancy.

We haven't found any problems using these products with Catalyst switches.

HTH,
Jim