I've used 0x0000 pattern with mtu 1500 to find out if the line cant handle
an all zero's.
If this test fails it usually means a telco line coding mismatch (ami versus
b8zs)

I've also used the 0x4040 pattern ( any pattern with seven consecutive zeros
eg 0x1010, 0x8080 etc) to find marginal telco circuits.  I'm not sure why
this flushes out telco problems, but it has worked for me in the past.

I've used 0xffff in some of my tests but this doesn't usually have any
failures.  I think that this would show if a telco repeater was failing.

I hope this helps.

I've had some experience troubleshooting digital circuits for a global telco
so that's why I run through these tests.

Ken