It is used to stress test WAN connections. I don't
remember the details, but I think the theory is
certain telco equipment fail and detect certain data
patterns incoorrectly. WAN lines can work sometimes
for certain data/apps but for some others they don't.
It's weird, but I used to troubleshoot WAN lines and
it happens enough. Run data patterns like 0xffff or
0xaaaa or a variety of others. If any one of them
fail, call the telco and tell them.