If this is a Remote Access Lab it's not a problem.

You'll be using a 2509/2511 or a modular router with an async card as a terminal server
and the students should only have user exec access to this box.

You'll also need an APC MasterSwitch.

Then simply run up a Linux/BSD box and have a perl script to telnet to the terminal
server, try for no password an if that fails tell the MasterSwitch to power cycle the
router and your expect script can continue with a password recovery, erase and reload
for each router/switch.

Of course the logical extension of this is to allow the script to then configure
default
configs on the lab to save valuable access time.

Darren