"Schimek, Hans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,

>my company is an internet-provider in austria.
>
>the following situation.
>one of our customers has his own network ( with own AS Number ) - currently
>he is connected to another ISP. but plans to connect to our network soon..
>the problem in here is : if he connects to another ISP - he intends to do
>loadbalancing across two ISP.
>my question : is it possible to loadbalance across multiple ISPs.

My questions in response:

    1. What do you mean by load balance?
    2. What does your customer mean by load balance? (not necessarily the same)

There's a radical difference between load splitting/sharing and
balancing.  The basic principle is that you want to send outgoing
traffic for any given destination to one AS or the other, as long as
both are up. Incoming traffic is a quite different matter, and far
more difficult to do.

Simply by having your customer take full routes from each ISP, and
assuming that the ISPs have at least somewhat different upstream
providers, you will get some outbound load sharing. Another common
approach is to assign a higher preference to routes that either
originate, or are one AS away, in the directly connected AS.

More questions:

    1. Does the customer have provider-independent address space? How large
       a prefix?
    2. If the customer uses address space from the first provider, what is
       that provider's policy about having other AS advertise part of its
       address space?  Is it willing to advertise both its aggregate and the
       more-specific customer allocation?