Okay...I've been digesting the responses I've received about this issue, and
what I've come up with can be reduced to two comments:

1) The fact that flipping the MDI/MDI-X switch didn't initially work leads
me to believe that I wasn't using it right.  The fact remains that
connecting a hub to a switch must be accomplished using a crossover cable.

2) Why is that?  It's true that connecting devices at different layers of
the OSI model requires a straight-through cable, and that connecting devices
at the same layer requires a crossover cable.  So isn't it true that
switches are layer 2, and hubs are layer 1?  No.  Hubs are actually layer 2
devices, and here's why: while a hub may not understand or care about source
and destination MAC addresses, checksums, or what's in the "type" field, it
*does* know the rules of CSMACD communication, and has to play by the same
rules as other layer 2 devices.  Therefore, hubs can be considered Layer 2
devices, and thus must be connected to switches with a crossover cable.

Anyone see anything wrong with my synopsis above?  Let me know.  Just be
careful with your caps lock key. ;-)

Thanks,

BJ