On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Benjamin Walling wrote:

> If I set up a NAT pool of only 1 address, the router/pix uses PAT.  Under
> PAT, I can have 65K hosts (or connections from hosts) connecting to the
> internet.
>
> If I set up a NAT pool of more than 1 address, the router/pix uses NAT.
> Under NAT, I can have 1 host per address in the NAT pool.
>
> Does this sound right?  I have two available address to get my users out
> with.  If I put them both in a pool, will I only get two out at a time, or
> will it allow 65K connections per address in the pool?  The documentation
> seems fuzzy on this.

If you specify "overload" then it will do PAT on any
addresses/interfaces/pools specified (PAT).  If you don't specify
"overload" then it does a 1:1 mapping (NAT)

So if you have two addresses, then use them and specify "overload".

Also, I think the limits on PAT (realistically) are more like 8000
overloads per single address.........but someone may correct me if I am
wrong.

Brian