-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Stewart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 10:39 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: FW: Teach me: LAN-->common 56K modem-->Internet

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Stewart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 12:31 PM
To: 'hanson'
Subject: RE: Teach me: LAN-->common 56K modem-->Internet

Try this:

Current configuration:                          My comments
. . .
interface Serial1/0                             Your A/S card
 physical-layer async                           set it to async
 ip . . .                                               assign the appropriate IP
address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 encapsulation ppp                              appropriate for ISP dial up
 async mode dedicated                           will be PPP only
 no cdp enable                                  turn off CDP, save bandwidth
 ppp authentication chap                        or pap, depending on your ISP
 dialer-group 1                                 match to dialer-list 1
!
line 33                                         Or whatever the modem line is
 autoselect ppp                                 run ppp
 modem InOut                                    line can be used to dial in/ dial out
 modem autoconfigure type usr_sportster sets init string.  Research if your
modem isn't in mcap.
 transport input all                            any protocol can use the line
 stopbits 1                                             }
 speed 115200                                   } Modem settings
 flowcontrol hardware                           }
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!
end

I've edited the config, so you'll have to supply the ip setup and routes.
This should get the lines setup.  You would use a dialer-list and
dialer-group to initiate the connection, but you may want to be more
specific with the dialer-list to control call-setup and teardown.  I've done
this from notes and memory, so it's possible I left something out.  Does
anyone else see something I've forgottten?  Best of luck.