Sometimes I answer questions to try to bring out the experts, not because I
am an expert. &;-) But so far nobody has added to my comments about CEF, so
I will.

 From my additional reading on the topic, I think it's not quite right to
say that one of the goals of CEF was to overcome the per-destination
load-sharing disadvantage of fast-switching. It's more correct to say that
CEF was designed for a different type of network. It solves a different
problem.

Fast switching speeds up forwarding in a typical small-to-medium network
with lots of client-server traffic. With fast switching, a router learns
the exit interface for a destination and caches this information, so that
the next time traffic comes in for that destination, the router can check
the cache and quickly forward the traffic without a routing-table lookup.

CEF, on the other hand, speeds up forwarding in large networks with dynamic
traffic patterns, such as the Internet. CEF is useful for networks
characterized by Web-based applications or interactive sessions, where
there are numerous and  ever-changing destinations.

In networks with dynamic traffic patterns, fast switching cache entries
change frequently. These changes can cause traffic to be process switched
using the routing table, rather than fast switched using the route cache.
With CEF, on the other hand, the Forwarding Information Base (FIB) lookup
table contains all known routes that exist in the routing table. The FIB
eliminates route cache turnover. CEF also offers full switching capacity at
each line card when distributed CEF (dCEF) mode is used.

See this URL for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/switch_c/xcprt2/xcdcef.htm

Priscilla