We ran into a similar problem on a recent project.  I think the confusion
comes when you try to address the GigE ports of the L3 card as "switch
ports" instead of from the router configuration.  When you try to SET TRUNK
2/1...   only dot1q will show up.  If you session into the L3 router, then
ISL is available.

Another bigger issue is the two "virtual" gig interfaces to the backplane.
The L3 modules uses these to pass traffic to the rest of the switch.  We
wound up having to setup bridge groups for the VLANs from these interfaces
to physical interfaces.  It seems kind of hokey at the time.  Does anyone
know of a better way for future reference?

Thanks.

--

When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; If
I am right, he will learn, If I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but