If you don't have the interface connected to a PC, hub, or other network
device then put the command "no keepalives" on that interface. It will then
be up up. You can ping its ip address.
Since you are not "administratively down" you did successfully configure a
"no shutdown". I think that I can say that there is no one on this list who
has not forgotten that one more than once.