This is a problem that I came across in a client network.

Each server seemed to have the risk covered.  The redundant card went into a different
switch (Sw2).  The switch (Sw2) then connected to the primary switch (Sw1).  All the
users on the lan connected via Sw1.  All services leaving the campus went via Sw1.

In a nutshell if Sw1 broke.  All the servers would see each other.  No users inter nor
intra campus could work.

No load sharing could take place from any server.  The hops to the users is more
direct via switch 1.  Spanning tree would see to that one.

What to do.  At least spread some of your users across each switch with the redundant
system.  Where possible also connect each floor (campus access switch) to each switch
and set up preferences to allow traffic sharing of both network cards on the servers
and also the switches.  This would provide safety all the way to the exit point of the
campus.

Beyond therre it becomes expensive.

It is all about risk management, disaster recovery and covering ones tail.

Just a thought.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia