I would agree with Howard.  It depends on what you want to do, but unless
your sa easoned Unix dude then you may want to do both.  I think the overall
training the MCSE gives is very helpful in actually designing networks.
Configuring routers and switches  are easy but knowing where to put them and
how best to place the servers is really the important part.  Don't get me
wrong,  knowing how to configure and maintain is important for all network
devices but knowing the big picture will tend to get you more offers.  This
is of course only my opinion but this is what I have seen lately and one of
my methods for hiring.  I think it is important to know how to do something
but I think a good network engineer or designer knows how all the pieces
fit.  Also the new MCSE is no longer a cake walk, and I have to say after
taking CCNA, Routing and Switching exams, the SMS 1.2 was the hardest of
all.

Hope this helps and good luck.

ML