>you have to be involved with cabling to understand the concept of punch down
>blocks....it's the location where the cable wires connect...some times they
>are small plastic blocks with different colors....when you scrape a cat5
>cable open you see different color wires...they correspond to the blocks for
>connections.....you also have a tool called a punch down tool used to insert
>the wires into the  block...you are punching the wires
>down...'punch-down'.....

And in a home office/network such as mind, you must always be
conscious of the different techniques involved in managing cat 5 and
one cat....or being managed by the cat one, who really is an
important contributor to many of my works.

>you, bradley, are more than right about terminology...there are too many in
>this great universe and 'we' must clarify them..and help others to
>understand what we mean....for example ASP has many new meanings...

I used to think ASP was the serpent that Cleopatra used to do herself
in, became confused by some Application Service Provider salesdroids,
and then was comforted to recognize the similarities between certain
salesdroids and bad-tempered snakes.

That doesn't mean that I am not on reasonable social terms with
several snakes of the reptilian sort.  As an old IBM networking sort,
let me point out that the first three letters of snake are SNA.
Coincidence? You decide. Bwahahaha....