Tell me where you are and I'll try to help you.  I am running tacacs against
about 40K cisco routers in several autonomous "domains."  Although not yet
perfected, I think I've got it down pretty pat.

It's a combination of running the tacacs daemon, the tacacs config files on
the server and the config commands in the routers.

To start with, may I suggest the following two urls?:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/113ed_cr/secur_c/scprt2/sctcacs.htm

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios11/acbook/acsysmgt.htm

... . as I said, give me some idea where to start as yours was a pretty broad
statement.

HTH,
Rainman