Our company purchased the Automated Teller Machine network from another
company and we currently connect to those ATMs using dlsw+.  The layout is
like this:

MyPeer--Myrouter--MyFW-- WAN --TheirFW--TheirRouter--TheirPeer

The remote ATM is connected to their peer router using SDLC.  The dlsw
traffic from that SNA device travels through the remote branch router,
through the other companies backbone router, through their Checkpoint FW,
through our PIX FW, through our 2501, and then to our 7513 router,  which is
our local peer.

Their remote peers are running 12.0(5) and our 7513 is running 11.2(18).  At
the moment, we have no problems.  And now, the weirdness...

We upgraded our 7513 to 12.0(7)T.  After the upgrade, all of the SNA devices
in our network connected as usual.  However, our mainframe could not see any
of the other company's SNA devices, even though the dlsw peers showed
connected.  This seems really odd.  If the dlsw peers are connected, why
would end-to-end communication still be broken?

So, we downgraded back to 11.2(18) and all was well again.  Our first
thought was that this was some sort of IOS mismatch, so we loaded 12.0(5) on
one of our branch routers and then upgraded the 7513 temporarily for
testing.  This time, our branch machines connected as usual.  This seems to
eliminate the IOS mismatch problem, but not necessarily.

Could it be that the implementation of dlsw+ in 12.0 establishes
communication differently that in 11.2, and this new process is broken
because of the two firewalls?  This is my only guess at this point, and I've
been reading on CCO all day with no further clues.

Do any of you have any ideas?  We REALLY need to upgrade our backbone router
soon, but losing connectivity with about 45 automated teller machines is
just not an option.  :-)  That tends to make a lot of different people very
angry, and a few of them employ me.

Any thoughts/tips/educated guesses would be appreciated!

John