I think what John is getting at is that there is still contention. In his
example with two clients trying to reach one server, there's contention at
the switch, and at the server possibly. There's no contention on the medium
itself. There's only one device trying to send at any one time. The switch
has its transmit pair and the server has its own transmit pair. If the
switch has two frames to send to the server, the backup happens at the
switch. Does that make sense?

Priscilla