Yes . The better way to do it is to create virtual dialer interfaces. ie
dialer 0, dialer 1 etc

You can make dialer 0 the backup to the serial line, while dialer 1 can be
used for other purposes.

The obvious risk with this is that the BRI may be in use when you need it
for backup purposes. You may want to 'reserve' 1 channel of the BRI just for
backup use (which can be done using dialer interfaces I think)